Apple Cinnamon MuffinsCourse: Breakfast, Snacks, DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
These are perfect for breakfast on a chilly fall morning!
2 1/4 cups Spelt flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2tsp. Cream of Tartar
Dash of salt
1/4 – 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 medium eggs
3/8 cup Lt. Olive oil
3/8 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Lemon juice
1/2 – 3/4 cup water
1 medium Apple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl or large measuring cup and beat with a fork.
- Add oil, syrup, and lemon juice and stir.
- Add the chopped apple to the dry mixture and stir until the apple pieces are coated in flour.
- Add wet to dry and mix together with a rubber spatula. Do NOT overmix!
- Spoon batter into muffins tins using a 1/4 cup measure. Put muffins into the oven as soon as the pans are full. Do not leave them sitting as this will cause the muffins to go flat.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean. They can be baked a little longer to become crispy if you prefer them that way, but they do burn, so keep an eye on them.
Yields: 12 muffins
- These muffins can be made with various kinds of apples. We’ve found that our favorites are Pink Lady and Granny Smith.