This peach pie is AMAZING!!! It takes a little while to make but it is so worth it! In fact, you might want to make two pies with as fast as it will disappear:)
The Best Peach PieCourse: PiesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
2 1/2 cups Spelt flour
1 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
4-8 Tbsp. ice cold water
4 cups peeled and sliced Peaches
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
2 tsp. Lemon juice
1/4-1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Tapioca flour
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until it looks dry and crumbly but not fully mixed.
- Start adding the cold water, starting with 4 tablespoons and going from there. Using a rubber spatula mix the water into the flour mixture until it resembles a thick dough. The dough should stick together well at this point. If the dough is still crumbly add more water until it holds together.
- Roll the dough into a loosely formed ball and then divide in half. Form each half into a thick disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour or stick in the freezer for 10-30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, wash, peel, and slice the peaches.
- Combine peaches, maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, and tapioca in a pot until a syrup forms. Then boil the mixture until the peaches are soft when you poke them with a fork. Once the peaches are soft remove them from the heat before moving on to the next step.
- Remove one of the discs from the refrigerator/freezer and let thaw just until it’s able to be rolled out. Roll the disc to fit the size of an 8 or 9 inch pie pan. Carefully transfer the crust to the bottom of your pie pan and pierce the bottom with a fork a few times. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the bottom crust from the freezer, cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the pan and fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake the bottom crust for 20-30 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- When the crust is done baking, raise the oven temp to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the second disc from the freezer, let thaw, and roll out.
- Remove the pie weights and parchment paper from the bottom crust and pour the filling into the pie pan. Put 4 small pats of butter on top of the peaches and then carefully put the top crust on. Cut a few slits in the crust and place in the oven. Decrease oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the pie for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with homemade whipped cream!