Apple PieCourse: Dessert, BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
- Spelt Pie Crust
2 cups Spelt flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
1/2 cup light Olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
- Apple Pie
5-10 medium size apples
1 recipes Spelt pie crust
1/8 cup Lemon juice
1/4 -1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup (optional)
1/2 Tbsp. Tapioca flour (optional)
1/4- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon (optional)
2 Tbsp. butter
- To make the crust:
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl using a fork.
- Add oil and water and mix until thoroughly combined
- Roll the dough into two equal size balls and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Roll out one ball of dough between two sheets of wax or parchment paper. Save the other ball for the top crust.
- Place crust in an 8×8 pie plate and flute the edges.
- To make the pie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice apples very thinly and place in a large bowl.
- Mix together Lemon, Maple syrup, water, Tapioca, and Cinnamon in a large measuring cup.
- Pour mixture over apple slices and gently toss slices so that the mixture covers all of them.
- Pour apple mixture into pie plate. Put pats of butter randomly across the top of the apples.
- Roll out top crust and cover the pie.
- Cover pie with aluminum foil and bake for 20-40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 20-40 minutes or until the apples feel soft when you poke them with a fork.
- Enjoy this pie with homemade ice cream, homemade whipped cream, or sweet cheese (recipes coming soon!).