I’ve been making Lemon Bars for years. The recipe I’d been making was alright, even good, but it certainly wasn’t awesome. The crust was always too thick and they didn’t have enough of a Lemon Curd layer. Several years ago I had found and printed a recipe for Gluten Free Lemon Bars from The Nourishing Home, but never got around to trying it (probably because I’m not a big fan of almond flour).
Then one day I got the idea to try them with a different crust and a few ingredient changes. The result: the PERFECT Lemon Bars!!! These Lemon Bars have a delicious, thick Lemon Curd layer and a yummy Coconut Lemon Cookie crust. They are a little labor-intensive, as the Curd layer requires constant stirring while it cooks, but they are definitely worth the effort. The only thing you might regret is how fast they get eaten:)
Perfect Lemon BarsCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
4 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
3 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Curd Filling
1/2 cup Butter, chopped
3/8 – 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
6 Egg yolks
1/3 – 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. Water
- Combine coconut flour, maple syrup, butter, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Cut butter into flour using a fork or a pastry cutter.
- Spread the crust on the bottom of an 8×8 or 9×12 glass pan.
- Bake the crust at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, use a double boiler, or a heat-safe glass bowl resting above a pot of gently simmering water to whisk together the eggs, lemon juice, butter, and maple syrup. Continue whisking or stirring with a fork until the butter melts.
- After the butter melts, continue whisking until the consistency resembles a thin pudding. Chill the curd filling in the refrigerator.
- Once slightly cool, spread the curd evenly onto the crust and bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until the filling sets. Remove from the oven and cool in the refrigerator about 2-3 hours before cutting for best results.
- You can use bottled or freshly squeezed lemon juice, either one is delicious!